Sunday, January 15, 2012

Setting out with Fantasy and Science Fiction

Several years ago, I read through a few issues of the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (edited by Gordon van Gelder) and, at the time, it didn't really speak to me.

Then, a little while after getting my Kindle, I noticed they were offering a free, teaser subscription so I signed up. After reading three teaser editions, which contained one of the stories and all the non-fiction from the extended editions, I decided to sign up for the Extended Edition subscription this January.

At $0.99 per month, it appears to be the cheapest of the science fiction magazines on Kindle subscription (Asimov's and Analog are both $2.99 per month), plus it is jam-packed with good fiction. I'm still working through the stories from the January edition and I've enjoyed every single one to varying degrees (more about that in future posts).

I also really enjoy the non-fiction, for which I didn't need to upgrade to the Extended Edition. I particularly enjoy Charles de Lint's Books to Look For. He's given me some good recommendations and he always gives sufficient information in his reviews to work out whether it's my kind of book without spoiling the story.

No comments: